Friday, March 23, 2012

Lisbon



Ratings for Lisbon, Portugal


Sights: A+
Food: A+
Weather: A+
People: A+++

Aside from a scare involving Afton (post later), and the predicted hassles of traveling with FOUR kids, we had a wonderful time. Andrew speaks Portuguese and what really made this trip so wonderful were the people. Everywhere we turned someone was helping us, smiling or treating us like lifelong friends. If we stopped and asked someone for directions, they didn't just tell us where to go, they actually made sure we got there. We had at least 3 different women hold Afton on their laps while on the train/tram/buses, and someone was always cooing over Clara. At one point we were relaxing at a town square and Luke and Afton were running around kicking a balloon like it was a ball. I looked around and there were a handful of older women and men watching the kids with a smile on their faces.

We flew in and stayed for 4 full days. I'm posting a ton of pics just to show the diversity of this area. Lisbon was our homebase, but 3 of the 4 days were spent within a 45 min radius of the city. Also, somehow EVERYWHERE we went we beat the crowds- it was really remarkable.


Belém
Monastery of Jerónimos- late 1400's


Monument to the Discoveries and Maritime Museum
Belém Tower- early 1500's


Sintra
Palácio de Pena







Quinta da Regaleira mansion and gardens
Cascais
Great beaches, seafood and fun town center.





Above: We loved the roads in Portugal! They had such great designs and literally gleamed. Below: I didn't think to bring bathing suits, so the boys slowly stripped down to their undies.




Lisbon



5 comments:

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Seriously, you are making me think I need to go to Portugal. I never even considered it before. I love how the kids were treated. It reminds me of when we used to take baby Truman to Mexico, ladies would pinch his cheeks and pronounce him "muy bonito".

Eisha said...

Undies? I thought those were speedo's and I didn't think a thing of it...I must have gotten used to abroad swim wear!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Merry- you guys would love it! Eisha- so true! I think it is funny how everyone else thinks that they long swimming trunks are unsanitary!

The Walkers in NJ said...

This area with its beautiful buildings-castles and beaches are beautiful.....and little Clara has now come along just in time to enjoy them too!

Jon and Emily said...

You are living MY life and it's NOT fair! :)