Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kinder Fasnacht 2012

Fasnacht just might be our favorite cultural experience here. The kids get a week off of school, and combined with our village's celebration, fasnacht is a two week party. Last year Luke was able to be in the kinder parade, and this year it was Sam's turn. It was just plain luck that both boys were able to participate, and for that I'm very grateful. It is an experience I hope both will treasure.

As I mentioned last year, the kinder parades are comprised of the children from the local Swiss schools. The kids in each class make their own costumes and march in the parade while throwing confetti and candy. After the parade is finished the kids all meet together for food and drink. At the International School the 2nd graders get to be in the parade, while the kindergarteners get to go watch. It worked our perfectly for Sam and Luke!

Sam's class chose to be dragons, and while not as impressive as the Swiss costumes (which usually involve paper mache), I thought they did a great job. Sam was certainly pleased with the costume selection.



Above: the kids walking to the parade start point. Below: all of the schools waiting to start the parade.



Sam's class walking by...



Some of the other costumes- I love how creative they are!

Luke enjoying the show and candy in his Superman suit.


3 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

oh my gosh, how cool is this?! can we move to switzerland for the next 6 months with you guys? pretty please?! :)

Eisha said...

so cute!

The Walkers in NJ said...

I too like those little kindergarten kids watching the parade, am in AWE of this very cool experience and I can't get over the costumes these kids mak!! It truly will be a treasured memory for your boys.