Monday, December 26, 2011

December Getaway

December is nearly over and I am ready for a nap...a big one. With the new baby, Afton's b-day, and the craziness associated with Christmas- this month was exhausting. There were parties, concerts, Clara's baby blessing, and a 3 day stretch where Andrew was away. I'd like to say that I handled everything like a pro, but that would be a lie. Things got a little stressful and mommy got a little crazy, but we survived!

One non-stress thing we did was take a 3 day trip to the Alps. It was extremely relaxing, and for a woman with a newborn baby who barely left the house during the last 6 six weeks, it was perfect.

We went to Hasliburg, Switzerland and stayed in a chalet owned by the Swiss National Bank. The place was awesome- there was an indoor pool, a restaurant, a playroom, TV room, and mounds and mounds of snow right outside our door. It was lovely, and now that we are the proud owners of some snow chains, we just might need to go back.



Below is the cute little market where we walked to get our groceries (we stayed in an apartment with a kitchen).


3 little thugs in the "taxi" to take us to another town. We likely would have died if we tried to drive ourselves- those mountain roads were crazy.


Clara was the warmest of us all. She wore 3 bunting outfits and just like Ralph from a Christmas Story, her arms wouldn't go down.

I'd say that Andrew was the least warm.

We stopped at a few little towns on the way home-



-and we were reminded once again of just how beautiful Switzerland is.


3 comments:

Jon and Emily said...

Oh my heavens to betsy! I'm just dying over the fact that you get to take little trips TO THE ALPS! So amazing! I'm actually a bit jealous of all that snow too! We're dry as a bone here and it's quite a bummer for the kids who got sleds and remote control snowmobiles for Christmas! If Jon and I can swing a trip to Europe before you guys come back, we will be thrilled!

Kristin and Dan said...

amazing! that little restaurant you were in reminded me of the random little restaurant that we found at the top of the jungfrau after our hike! i miss switzerland... i am definitely thinking that another trip is in order in 2012 for us!

Stephanie Saunders said...

You're brave. I never want to go anywhere with a new baby. Probably because the chances that there will be a blow-out with poop everywhere are very high. And I'm not much of a risk-taker...

Yep, we're having baby #4, also known as baby #last. It's a boy, which means Melanie will probably never be able to get a date in high school (not necessarily a bad thing...). It will be interesting having another boy (which is due in late April, which can't come soon enough, because at the rate I'm gaining weight, I'll end up putting on 60 pounds by then- woohoo!).