Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Rowe Visit: Part 1

Our good friends Merry and Jack are visiting and it is exciting times here in the Willis household. The best part is that they brought their 6 year old son Truman with them, who also happens to be one of Sam and Luke's BFF's. Merry and Truman arrived last Thursday, and on Saturday we met up with Jack (already in Germany for work) in Munich. We had to head home last night so that Andrew could go on a 3-day work trip today, but we'll be meeting up with them this weekend in Austria.

Yes, I realize that this blog is turning into a travel log. Sorry about that.

Colmar, France

Hello Lover...
(I'm not exaggerating when I say that a plane ticket
would be worth it just for this)



Munich, Germany
There is a ton of history in this city, and two days really only gave us a little taste of it. Andrew and Jack were able to go on a Third Reich tour and we also toured some museums and cathedrals containing art, Bavarian royal jewels and skeletal remains.





Neuschwanstein Castle
My head is still reeling from all of the murals and ornamentation that I saw inside this castle. We weren't allowed to take pictures on the inside, so you'll just have to take my word for it. That King Ludwig might have been crazy, but he had some mighty fine taste.





Hohenschwangau Castle
This was the castle where Ludwig II spent his childhood and lived until he had Neuschwanstein built. The two castles are close to each other, although we didn't realize that until the fog cleared up in the afternoon.




10 comments:

erinmalia said...

how fun for you guys to have them there with you! as always, the pics are amazing.

Lori Ann said...

I love that this a travel blog!! Keep it up, we all live vicariously through you!! How many countries have you been to now? Which ones do you like the most? What is the coolest food you have tried? Tell us everything!!!

The Walkers in NJ said...

I love it!! I love it!! I love it!! I love everything about this Europeant tour you are taking us on!! The fog with the castles take me back to my imaginative childhood days when I would read stories of the black forest. I love the pictures of the kids, especially of Luke on the bridge...great face Luke!
miss you all.

Ashtrey said...

okay, everywhere you went to with Mary and family, you taking us. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!! And that chocolate desert, hello! I AM SO JEALOUS OF YOUR LIFE, and I cant say it enough. cant wait!

Ashtrey said...

hahaha okay wait I just read moms comment and I am peeing my pants. Imaginary childhood days?? Ahhh haha

erin leigh said...

I love that your writing all about your travels!! I get excited when I see you have a new post..because I want to see where you've been this week! I love that your taking total advantage of your time in Europe!!!!

Jennie said...

I served my mission in Strasburg and went to Colmar several times!!! Love that place! You HAVE to go there during the Christmas holidays. There is no place on earth like it. I am so excited you guys are taking full advantage of your time there and seeing everything there is to see.

erinmalia said...

okay, so yes, i have some fabric and enough that i think i could make the bags for the boys. if you're really serious, let me know. just in case, my email is erinmalia at gmail.

Paul, Nat, Syd, and Maggie said...

That is so much fun that the Rowe's got to visit! We miss all you guys! Thanks for blogging!

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Seriously, why did you photoshop Andrew into that picture? It's kinda weird.
Also, why didn't I buy one of those hangy things in Munich?
Oh that's right, Jack was marching us around like a madman!