
Last August, right after moving into our home, I told a new friend that "it felt great to be settled into the place where we will spend the rest of our lives." She responded, "nothing in life is permanent", and then gave me a look that said, "Jessica, you are a poor, naive fool." I responded with a look that said "whatever lady."
Looks like the joke's on me because it hasn't even been year and we're moving. To Switzerland.
Last January, Andrew called to ask me if I would be willing to move to Switzerland for a few years. There was a position available at an international agency, and Andrew's employer wanted a representative to fill this post (with the understanding that he would return to work once the period was done). The catch was that Andrew needed to first be officially nominated by his work, and then had to apply for the actual position. Long story short, he was nominated, he interviewed, he was offered a position, and we've accepted (his tentative start date is in August).
I'm excited, but let me point out some of my concerns...
- I've never been outside of America. I consider Utah to be exotic.
- I don't speak German, or more specifically, Swiss-German.
- I know not a soul in this country- or in all of Europe for that matter.
- We have 3 small kids.
- I am not an adventurous, roll-with-the-punches type of gal.
- Did I mention the 3 kids?
- Andrew will be traveling...all over the world...a lot. Again, to reiterate my above points-
- I don't speak the language
- I don't know anyone
- and I will be alone with 3 kids
Gratefully, as I've learned, nothing in life (especially this) is permanent.
And with that, I leave you with some pictures Andrew took while interviewing. We are responsible to find our own housing, so I have no idea which little town we will be living in. Andrew assures me that this is the basic gist of it though...I guess I'll find out soon enough.



21 comments:
Nearly everyone in Switzerland speaks English. So you can stop worrying about that. And think of what a good experience it will be for your kids. All of them who go to school will learn at least one other language, and you can tour the rest Europe on your vacations. One of my daydreams is moving to Europe for a year or two (three would not be my ideal). Rick Steves is on Hulu. You could see what he thinks is fun to see in Switzerland.
OMG I'm so excited for you and shocked, to say the least.
OMG!!!
How can I help? We can advertise your home in the Rockville Ward classifieds. Holy smokes!!! Did I mention I am shocked?
I think you're going to love it! And I think the kids will really be enriched by the experience and what a wonderful career opportunity for Andrew. Sounds like a win-win for everyone!
Good luck, let me know if there is anything I can do for you guys.
Oh my, what a gorgeous country! I learned a few years back (when my oldest son almost died at birth) that nothing in life ever happens the way we plan or think it will turn out. I used to be "naive" too. All I can say is that I am grateful for all the unexpected suprises in my life. I think that you will have a blast and get used to the new lifestyle there. Take lots of pictures and post them on your blog. I can't wait to see what fun adventures you have in Switzerland. Good luck with everything!
Beautiful pictures. Sure wish we could afford to come visit!
Not that I have any idea what it would be like to up and move with 3small kids to a foreign country. I know that any major change is overwhelming, makes you feel slighty naseous, 1/2 the time you feel so elated and then the other half is just pure aniexty. Your going to do amazing!! I'm going to have live vicariously through you for the next few years while you have this awesome adventure. Remember the outlet's in europe don't fit american appliances!
Did you mention that you can leave those 3 kids with me?
You are one brave lady! If Dan asked me if I would be willing to move out of the country, I would shut him down with a big fat NO before he could even finish the question! :) But let me tell ya, we are ALREADY planning our trip to come out and visit and we can't wait!! GOOD LUCK with packing and finding a renter!
Wow Jess! I mean, I know that you told me about this possibility a few months ago... but I am speachless! That is terrifying and exciting all at the same time! I am sure that you are going there for a reason beyond your understanding at this moment. That is the way that I have felt about Las Vegas... but the longer we stay here the more I realize why we have ended up here. You will do amazing, and there will be so many fun adventures! Call me!!!
I am so excited for you. Living overseas is a great opportunity for you and your kids (especially easier while they are small btw!)
It will give you and your kids more depth and experience. Yes you will adjust and it will be tough at first but then you will grow to love it. I would trade you in a heart beat if my kids weren't teens. Congrats!
I think a lot of Europeans speak English don't they?
Wow! That's great. Congratulations on the job. Good luck. May we come visit in a year or two?
OH MY GOSH! My jaw dropped with shock! Wow, that's awesome! Congratulations! :D :D :D
Chris was born in Germany and spent a few years there before moving back to the U.S. (his dad=Air Force) and from what he remembers and is told, Europe is a pretty cool place. I think your family will have an awesome time and you'll be able to have experiences there that most people won't ever experience.
Let me know how I can help (when the time comes)! Now this means we really will need to get together! Or manage to be in NJ at the same time! haha
Wow! I am jealous and excited for you!! Keep blogging from Switzerland, so we can all live vicariously through you!
i can't even begin to say how jealous of you i am right now! that's such an awesome opportunity. you'll be fine and andrew will do great. plus, switzerland is just the coolest! wow. luckies. :)
I will miss you guys SO much, but can't wait to hear all about the fun, exciting time you will have. Congratulations!
Well, since I've been to Switzerland (for a grand total of 24 hours), let me tell you...it is BEAUTIFUL:) I think you are going to have the experience of a life time:) You can come back and be all trendy and European and act like you forget certain words in English and you will have stories to tell your grandkids and all your family will come and visit and you will get to see Europe! I have my passport, I will come and watch your kids so that you and Andrew can go to Paris or Rome or London..can you tell that I am just A LITTLE excited for you!! p.s.- Let me say now that since you are going to live in Europe- WE EXPECT CHOCOLATE!!!
JESS DID I MENTION THAT THOSE 3KIDS CAN STAY WITH DAD AND ME?
Jess!!! I'm so jealous!!! I would LOVE to do that! What an awesome adventure. Europe is absolutely amazing and Switzerland is one of my favorite countries. I'm dying to take Jon there so if we can swing it-you might have visitors!!!
!!! So excited for you guys! I'm sure once you get settled you will love it and the wonderful thing about the church is that you have instant help and associations. I hope you can keep up the blog because we'll love seeing pictures and hearing your adventures!
I am so excited for you! We will talk once I am back in Australia! visiting the USA for two weeks!
It will be a transition, but I know you'll make it work. And ya, most everyone there sprechen sie english, so you'll be great. And they will all love your adorable kids and maybe even be courteous, chivalrous, and kind (unlike most Americans). I know you'll end up loving it in the end. But that leaves the rest of sad and missing you of course... :) I'd love to go over for a year. Or to Australia.
Oh I would trade your family places in a instant. You can travel all over, tote the kids and they will do great. They can go to german speaking schools and learn the language so quickly. And do they send their 2 year olds to school there like they do in france? I am so jealous of you. Sweitzerland is the most beautiful place I have ever been!!!!!
Post a Comment