
There seems to be a growing trend of parents choosing to tell their children the truth about Santa. I don't want to bash non-Santa believers, but in our household we believe! Of course we teach our children about the true meaning of Christmas (Christ's birth), but we also embrace Santa Clause and all of his goodness.
So, here are my top 5 reasons of why we believe:
5. Santa is unavoidable.
During the holiday season that man is everywhere. He's on TV, in magazines, at the mall and in most homes. To me it just seems easier to go along with the whole Santa story, rather than trying to explain to a 2 year old that "Santa is a made up lie that all adults tell their children. Oh, and be sure not to tell your friends".
4. Santa is an excellent disciplinarian.
What child doesn't stop dead in his or her tracts at the threat, "I'm going to tell Santa!" I can get my kids to basically do anything just by uttering his name. I use this to my advantage ALL season long. I love the song "Santa Clause is Coming to Town", particularly the lines, "He sees you when your sleeping. He knows when your awake". I feel like that song writer and I are kindred spirits.
3. I defer all toy decisions to Santa.
With the gluttony of toy marketing during Christmas it seems that my kids are contiually whining for some new toy. My response? "We'll see what Santa brings you". End of discussion.
2. I love conspiring with my husband.
Andrew and I work together on mostly everything with our children, but making Santa come alive is different. I love keeping his identity a secret. I love making cookies and setting them out with milk for Santa on Christmas Eve. I love setting up the toys and filling up the stockings with goodies after the children have gone to bed. But most of all, I love seeing my children's faces Christmas morning, and then looking at Andrew and knowing that we have successfully pulled it off.
and the #1 reason...
1. Santa adds a special magic to Christmas.
I grew up believing in Santa. I was completely fascinated with the North Pole, elves, Mrs. Clause, Santa's reign deer, and catching a glimpse of Old Saint Nick himself. I think one year my dad even dressed up as Santa, and my mom woke me and my brother up to take a peek. I was half asleep, but I remember seeing him crouched over by the fire setting up something. Before we had a chance to catch on, my mother quickly whisked us away. That is a memory I will never forget.
11 comments:
nicely done. this isn't an issue for us yet (rhett doesn't even understand Christmas and is pretty much perplexed as to why there's a tree in our house), but some day it will be and we'll definitely be a house where santa stops.
I figured out Santa wasn't real when I was 5 years old all on my own, then went ahead to tell my 8 year old sister (who still believed) and all my friends! Ha ha oh man.
I love this! We'll be a Santa-believing house too. The reasons you give so clearly explain why kids must believe in Santa--how could it work any other way?? :)
When we were in high school, Bill and I gave my parents the night off and wrap everything for them. We gained a newfound appreciation for all the work they did every Christmas beforehand!
I'm so with you. Frankly, I sorta still believe in Santa, even though I don't, if that makes any sense... I love that part of the magic. Have you read the book, "I Believe in Santa Claus"? If not, you must pick up a copy. It's wonderful!
I am a strong believer in Santa...at 26! Can't wait to see what he brings me this year!!! I totally agree that santra brings more magic to the Christmas season.
I LOVE THIS LIST!!
Totally agree! And to help us tie it into faith, we tell the kids that Santa works for Heavenly Father. (It is so cute when they are praying and they ask Heavenly Father to make sure and tell Santa that they want a stereo for Christmas:)
I loved your post. It's so true, Santa for the those few precious years that your young brings such excitment and fantasy to your life as a kid. I almost think it's shameful of some parents to ruin it so young for their kids. There aren't alot of times in your life that you get to live in the make believe so why not let kids have it while they can!
This is why I love you! You tell it like it is and it I love it. I miss you girl. Tried calling you but you must have changed your number. Call me sometime. :) Can you believe our girls are one?!!
I believe in Santa! My mom has always told me that if you don't believe, Santa will not come! I will pass that on to my kids too. I love your reasons. I totally agree! Merry Christmas! We will have to make the trees after Christmas for next year!
Tell it like it is Jess. Love your rationals!
Post a Comment