Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Christmas Tree Debate

For years Andrew and I have debated over buying an artificial Christmas Tree (Andrew is pro-real tree, I'm pro-artificial tree). Andrew's main argument is that the smell of a real tree is a major part of Christmas. My argument is that you can get a pre-lit artificial tree and a scented candle. Plus, our trees always seem to die about 2 weeks before Christmas, which forces me to vacuum up mounds of pine needles each day.

Well, this year Andrew won out and I think he may have won for the long run.

Rather than heading to the nearest Home Depot for our Christmas tree, we decided to go to a local orchard and cut one down ourselves. It was wonderful. Andrew was able to pretend he was a mountain man, and I was able to pose my children and take a billion pictures. It really was fun, and the boys loved choosing the "perfect" tree. The weather was spectacular and to top it all off, the orchard market served hot cider, hot coco and donuts.

I think we may have just started another holiday tradition.

Our tree selection, I don't know why I'm smiling at the tree.



Andrew looking very pleased with himself (and his hot coco)

6 comments:

Lori Ann said...

awww...I LOVE the picture of you smiling at your tree! You are such a cute mom. Yikes. I still cannot believe you are someone's mom! And even though I have a trashy white fake tree, I 100% support real trees! There is just no replacement:)

Charlotte said...

Oh yeah, cutting down a real tree is DEFINITELY the way to go. The needles stay on longer, and it turns the whole process into a family event that your kids (if they're anything like me) will remember well into their adulthood.

Of course, if your choice is between buying a fake tree at Home Depot once, or buying a real tree at Home Depot year after year after year, I'm with you--fake and candle all the way.

Kristin and Dan said...

That looks fun! I am an artificial tree kind of girl... that way I can have my tree up for like 2 months, ha ha!

Mom said...

I love the whole tree cutting experience and the kids obviously loved it!! What a great tradition!

erinmalia said...

i'm with andrew--real ones. although i am starting to see the beauty of fake, i can't quiet fold yet.

Stephanie Saunders said...

Don't do it, Jess! Don't go artificial! Andrew is totally right. And it's like the Santa thing- a real tree just brings a certain magic. And I agree with you about Santa. What's with the Santa-bashers anyway?