Thursday, December 17, 2009

The Birthday Girl

Reflection of the last 21 months
(9 months in, 12 months out):

First there was the pregnancy- 9 months and 40 extra pounds of growing discomfort. Then of course, the short term and long term recovery of my body. There were/are the sleepless nights, the extra time it takes to leave the house, the sore arms from carrying her for extended periods of time, the fun events missed because of naps and/or bedtime, and lastly, the added cost of living.

Of course, these "sacrifices" are insignificant when I think about all that we've gained- our baby Afton. I'd like to think that I would have willingly gained another 100 pounds if it meant having this little girl. That I would be willing to forgo even more sleep and miss out on more activities. I love my children more than I can express. I'd like to think that there isn't anything I wouldn't do to have them.

And what really surprises me are the moments I find the most rewarding. The pats on my back when I pick up this baby. The way her eyes widen and breathing speeds up when she is excited to see me. Her excited squeals. Her growing independence. The list could go on.

Happy Birthday Afton! We think the world of you!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Yay!! I am the first to post about my beautiful granddaughter! I think the world of you too Afton...Grandpa and I both. How blessed we are that you came to our family. We love you!!
Grandma and Grandpa

Eisha said...

is she turning two or one?

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

I guess I should of been more clear! She is 1, but I was including the 9 months of pregnancy.

Hmmm, I'm going to have to rethink my intro!

Kristin and Dan said...

Happy birthday, Afton!!

Dan and I need to meet this cute little girl!

Kim Jon and kids said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET BABY GIRL!! I know exactly what you mean about how everything she does completes you.. well said Jess!