Sunday, October 4, 2009

Fall Happenings


Guess how many times we went to the pool this past summer? Twice. Guess how many times we went downtown? Zero. Guess how many times we went to Cape May? Twice. You get the point...it was a pathetic summer for us. Since we spent most of our time house hunting and then recovering from house hunting, I promised myself that once we settled in we would not spend all of our Saturdays doing home projects. So far, I think we've made good on that promise. We've still been busy with the home (pictures to come), but so far I think we've done a good job making up for this past summer. Here are a few of our weekend activities this past month.

September started out with a bang when my little brother Joe decided to come home for a quick weekend visit. He was gracious enough to squeeze in a trip to our house (with my Dad) and for the occasion we decided to hit up Great Falls. We love Joe and it was great to see him.

The man himself, Uncle Joe


A couple weeks later we went to the National Book Festival with some of our friends. This was our first time attending and I have to say it was pretty cool. There were a ton of authors (Shannon Hale, Kate Dicamillo, Judy Blume, Nicolas Sparks, Sue Monk Kidd, Jon Meacham...just to name a few) who were stationed at different pavilions throughout the entire National Mall. Of course with the kids we didn't get to see most of these authors, but we did see some. They also had a massive PBS Kids tent where the boys were able to meet characters like Clifford the Big Red Dog and Arthur. It was raining, and a bazillion people were there, but it still was a lot of fun. I'm planning on going next year, but with some girlfriends instead.

After the festival we went to the Natural History Museum where we were able to see the new Oceanic exhibit- it is pretty cool!


Sam at the Natural History Museum's new exhibit
Our latest family excursion happened this past weekend when went to a local farm to pick apples and pumpkins. 30 pounds of apples, a gallon of apple cider, some fresh produce, and six pumpkins later, I think we got our fill. The boys had a blast, and now I'm busy turning those apples into baked goods. Have I ever mentioned how much I love fall???




5 comments:

erinmalia said...

what pumpkin patch did you go to? it looks awesome!

Maren Hansen said...

ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me! I had no idea they had so many great authors--I'll have to go next year as well... :)

Danielle said...

That is Joe?! He was like six when we moved, I think.

Mom said...

Have I told you lately that I love my grandkids and think they are BEAUTIFUL!! Great pics Jess!

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Where are my apple baked goods? I expect to see an apple pie in my hands at soccer this afternoon!