Sunday, April 26, 2009

Andrew's 30th and an afternoon on the Farm

The Big 3-0
During college I student taught art at a middle school located in Springville, Utah. We only had one car at the time, so Andrew often drove me to and from school. One morning we were running late and I was dropped off right as the school buses were pulling in. The following is a conversation I had with one of the 7th graders about an hour later-

Student- "Hey Mrs. Willis, who was that guy who dropped you off today?"
Me- "That was my husband."
Student- "EWWWWWW! He is so OLD!!! What, is he like 30???"

At the time Andrew was a mere 23.

Well, as of last Monday Andrew is officially "old"... at least according to one 7th grader. I always thought I would have a big surprise party for him, but (a) we have to move in 3 weeks so my life is utter chaos right now and (b) he had class that night until 10 pm. Since he had to go to Scouts the following night, I decided to bake some cakes and cupcakes and have the youth and leaders surprise him. It sounded like it went well!

Farm Visit
Contrary to popular belief, we actually live very close to the country. Proof of that took place yesterday when our friends invited us to their relative's farm for their daughter's 4th birthday party. The farm is located on Sugar Loaf Mountain, and I'm posting a picture of the mountain for all our of our west coast friends to have a good laugh (I'll admit, it is a very liberal use of the term mountain). Either way, we had a blast! For me, the best part was that our kids could run and explore like crazy and I never had to worry about them. With that said, I think I may have worried just a little had I known that what I thought was a cow freely roaming around was actually a bull (he was later penned up). Aside from the bull and cows, they also had ponies which the children were able to ride on. I'm pretty sure that they weren't trained, but they behaved well enough to let each kid have a short ride. It was also great to be together with some of our friends who we don't get to see so often anymore.

Luke with one of the ponies


The Mountain behind Afton (going at her front carrier) and me (I chopped off 7 inches of my hair this week)




10 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

Ha ha!! I love the story about the 7th grader! That's hilarious. Poor Andrew! And by the way I love that pic of Sammy by the tree with the red barn!

Anonymous said...

I will be 30 this year..so sad:( Thanks for visiting "the dirty noodle"..holy hannah, I have the most bizzare blog name ever:) Anyway, I wanted to tell you that I am friends with Lesley Gable on facebook! She and I were in the same grade and had alot of classes together. Today, she was telling me that you taught her to scrapbook:)

erinmalia said...

first, your hair cut is adorable. hope you like it.

second, i know what you mean about being close to country. isn't so weird? i think so.

third, totally random: are you watching real housewives of NJ? i'm just wondering if i should invest my time.

Tracie Bramhall said...

CONGRATS BUDDY...I'll be there with you soon...4 months till I am old too!!

Tracie Bramhall said...

PS that is from DAVE

Mom said...

Andrew son you don't look a day over 30! The day at the farm looked wonderful! Museums in DC to the big red barn in the country....
your children will have a well rounded life with great experiences and memories. Have I told you lately that Afton is beautiful?!!

Katie said...

How fun! What cute picture out on the farm! Love them.

Stephanie Saunders said...

Wow, I love that giant "mountain" in the background. Yes, using that word is quite liberal. And don't feel too bad- I didn't throw Kent a big party when he turned 30, either, and I didn't even have a good excuse.

Sidra said...

That farm looks like a photographer's dream! Oh, and ask Andrew how the "30" water feels? I'm about to jump in myself... And I'm oddly excited.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JESS!!!!!

*Hayley