Years ago when Sam was in kindergarten I decided to keep him home from school so we could go to the zoo. It was a gloriously beautiful day and it just seemed like a wasted opportunity for us not to be outside. Everyone had a great time, until the end when Sam realized that he was missing math and started to cry. It was kind of a buzz kill.
Flash forward to today. It was an unusually warm winter day with record highs. It would have been a sin to stay indoors. So I did what needed to be done and rounded up my kids early. Luke and Afton were ecstatic when I surprised them at school. Holy cow you would have thought we were headed to Disney World. Sam on the other hand was so perplexed and when I explained why I was pulling him out early he proceeded to give me a lecture! A lecture! "Mom! I was in the middle of a work flow and making a lot of progress!" I really don't know where he gets it from.
A quick pit stop at Dunkin' Donuts made all thoughts of school disappear and we had the best time basking in the 70 degree weather. No regrets.
While out today I also came to the realization that I am entering a new phase in motherhood. For 13 years I've either been pregnant or had a baby/young toddler to handle (often I was dealing with both). With Rosie becoming more and more independent and no more pregnancy plans, I'm realizing how much fun it is to explore and play with the kids. I've enjoyed most of the motherhood phases, but I think this is really going to be a lot of fun.
1 comment:
Are you sure you don't have any pregnancy plans? Because we feel that when we get back to the states you owe us one more baby because the last two were born when we weren't around. Not fair! And Sam needs to try to influence my kid. I don't think he has ever had a "work flow" unless it involved a video game.
Post a Comment