We possibly have the most social toddler on the planet. This child makes it her special mission to say "hi" to anyone within a 10 foot radius. It's a blaring "hi" that demands your attention, and as the youngest of 5, believe me, she knows how to get your attention. It's a "hi" that says "Look at me! Love me! Do I have your attention? I will now dazzle you with a smile!"
This little routine is cute to all... except for the poor soul who gets stuck behind us in the grocery store line. That person is subjected to 5-10 straight minutes of "Hi!", "Hi!", "HI!", "HI!!!!!!!!!" It's actually comical watching the reactions of those people. It goes from "Oh what a cute baby!" to "Ok, how much longer to I have to keep saying hi to this child!" pretty fast. I usually jump in after a minute and tell them that they are just going to have to ignore her.
It's also uncomfortable for me who, in true North Eastern form, doesn't like to engage with strangers in public. Last week Rosie and I were grocery shopping and she started up the "hi routine" with an elderly gentleman. I was busy picking out produce, so I quickly glanced in his direction, gave him a split second smile, and went back to my business. As he walked by he stopped me and said, "What a friendly daughter you have! She must take after her father".
I'm still insisting he was referring to her looks.
1 comment:
Is that an Aldi cart I see? Nice!
Post a Comment