I've got the second half of the past 5 months to get caught up on- and we've got everything from birthdays to the kid's first black Santa- so lets get this thing started!
Birthdays
The kid's birthday marathon starts in November with Clara and ends in February with Luke. It gets busy, but I try to keep is simple- especially for those who won't remember the occasion. Clara turned one this year and while this year has gone by impossibly fast, I also can't remember life without this little doll. She is possibly the happiest baby alive, and her three word vocabulary actually includes the word "hap-py!", which she says all the time. She started walking on Afton's birthday in December and hasn't slowed down since. I can't get enough of this red headed child!
Clara's favorite pastime- squeezing herself into tiny little spaces.
Let's just get this on the table right now- Afton's 3rd year of life was a little bit trying for me. There were tantrums and power struggles, BUT, that all seems to be fading into the past! This (now) sweet little firecracker somehow manages to get more and more personality each day. She adores her family and I love hearing her little off-key voice voice singing songs about "sisters". She keeps asking when she will be five- but I want to savor every moment of this 4 year old Afton.
The Christmas Season
My father has become obsessed with the reality TV show Duck Dynasty. (If I'm going to be completely honest, so have we.) The show stars millionaire rednecks who hold a great distaste for all things "yuppy". So, when my dad found out that we went to a tree farm to cut down our Christmas tree, we were labeled as the ultimate yuppies. We should have been offended, but as I reflected upon those cutting down trees with us (all in fancy SUVs, children in matching Christmas colors, fancy DSLR camera hanging from their necks), I couldn't argue his point at all. And really, compared to the others, we really are just wanna-be-yuppies. See dad, there is still hope for us!
Yuppy or not, we love our Christmas tree tradition, and no one had a better time than Andrew who spent a L-O-N-G time selected the perfect Christmas tree for us.
Luke's perfect tree selection-
Ah, the memories!
Next up on the Christmasy-things-to-do agenda was a trolley ride with Santa. Now here's the thing- if you are PAYING good money for your kids to go see Santa, then Santa better live up to some pretty high expectations. However, as soon as we stepped on onto the trolley (with my Dad and sister Becca) we were greeted by a skinny black Santa! It was all I could do to hold a straight face. Luke didn't manage as well. As soon as he got onto the trolley he yelled, "That isn't the real Santa! I can tell by his face!"
I'm not gonna lie though, it was hysterical and I'm glad we have the memory.
A couple of weeks later the kid's faith in Santa was restored. On Christmas Eve Santa came around on a firetruck through our neighborhood passing out candy. As soon as the kids saw him, they were besides themselves shouting, "It is the real Santa!". Even my nearly 9 year old said, "I knew the real Santa would come!" Think what you will, but it was a magical moment.
Children, you make my heart swell.
On Christmas Eve day we got together with Andrew's family at our home. As is tradition, the cousins made their gingerbread houses while the adults enjoyed each other's company. It even started to snow- which counted as a Christmas miracle in my book! That night was a low key affair with Thai takeout and a reenactment of the Nativity story.
Christmas Day was lovely and packed full of family. A couple of hours after waking up, Andrew's parents, brother Pete and Aunt Coco came over to exchange presents. Then in the afternoon my parents, sister Becca, my other sister Ashley and her husband Jacob, and my brother Joe and his new wife Vanessa came down to stay for a couple of days. We were spoiled rotten to be surrounded by so much family.
After a few days we all went back to my parents house to spend the rest of the Christmas break. It was wonderful, but also a little tense as we eagerly waited for Becca's mission call to arrive. It finally came the last day were we there! Becca has always wanted to do service in a 3rd world county, so she was besides herself when she found out she would be going to Paraguay for 1 1/2 years. I'm so incredibly proud of that girl! Becca is going to be absolutely amazing ...even if it is going to break my heart to give her up during that time.
Between two weddings, a baby due in June for my brother and sister-in-law, and now this mission call, it has been a wonderful year full of blessings.
Family Outings
We are trying to resume our "Saturday Adventures", and in November we took a trip to Fort McHenry. This is where the Battle of Baltimore took place in 1814, and is also battle that inspired Francis Scott Key to write the Star Spangled Banner.
(above right) I love nothing more than to see these kids running free. (above left) Afton and Luke stuck in jail, and (below) the kids taking a break in the bunk house).
Then a couple of Saturdays ago we took the kids to the Natural History Museum and ice skating at the National Sculpture Garden. Andrew stayed out with Clara, but I look turns with the oldest 3... it was hysterical. They didn't much like sitting out waiting their turns, but for the most part, they were good sports about.
Last Saturday it was a trip to some art museums and the Air and Space Museum (as you can see- we've been having a very mild January).
But I think the horse rides at home just may be what the kids enjoy most.

4 comments:
I love these recaps! They are addicting! It;s like a fast forwarded version of my favorite novella (spanish soap opera). But with kids and pumpkin patches and nobody screaming in spanish:) I am SO excited that you are back!!
You are all caught up - I'm impressed! I was so behind for months too, and am finally caught up. What a relief! Wish we could have been there with everyone at Christmas... it looks and sounds like we missed out on a really fun time with everyone. The pictures of your kids in their Christmas clothes are darling!
The picture of Clara squeezig herself into tiny spaces is so Becca! When I look at Afton's party I ask myself "why again did I miss that?!! So sad.
Love the picture of Luke pointing to the scrawny tree, and do the boys feel that the trolleys there resembles the Swiss trams at all?
So glad we could spend Christmas together and all be part of Becca's mission call celebration! So glad your home!!
This is another awesome picture I have on display life size in my bedroom https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-addoDVozaxE/UPwR7ZG_GwI/AAAAAAAAMV8/l_vAGXmuSwI/s0/IMG_2736.JPG When I first put him on display life size in my large digital picture display I buriend my face in his neck and began kissing his neck and slowly worked my way up to his cheek and mouth. The display is warm and silky smooth and the picture so clear and sharp he really came to life and it seemed like I was really kissing him!
Post a Comment