Monday, January 14, 2013

5 Month Recap- part 1

Warning: This post reads like a bad Christmas newsletter. I'm going for quantity people. Not quality, quantity

It's 2013 and I feel like a brand new person. For the first time in months (5 months to be exact!) I feel like my old self. What a lovely, fantastic feeling.

I really, truly thought that moving back to the States would be a piece of cake. It's home, right? How hard could it be to get settled back into our old routine? Uh, hard. The reality is that we had been living a very slow paced lifestyle for the past 2 years. Andrew was minutes from work, the kids didn't do any extra curricular activities... in short we created a nice, cozy lifestyle and we got soft. Coming back to the U.S. felt like someone dropped me into the deep end of the pool- with all 4 of my kids.

Sorting out our overseas move (customs an such), medical records (especially for the child born overseas), drivers licenses, school records, residency, taxes, along with all of the usual moving hassles- not fun. Add church callings (4 days after getting back!), family obligations, 2 out of state sibling weddings, house renovations, and the holidays- and I was starting to burst at the seams. Then add in the stress of the fast paced American lifestyle, and I was one step away from the crazy house.

BUT, I survived! The craziness has died down, the house is finished, and I've acclimated to the pace here. More importantly, our calenders are empty for the next foreseeable future. I by no means have it all together, but everything feels manageable. I'm sure things will get crazy again- it always does- but for now I'm savoring the moment. And really, despite stress of relocating, it has been a great 5 months. So lets get on with the recap.

School

I should have begun this post by saying that the kids adjusted like champs- and all within the blink of an eye. They were thrilled to get back to their cousins and friends and that happiness hasn't let up for one moment. It makes any stress I felt more than worth it. Sam is in 3rd grade, Luke in 1st, Afton in preschool 3 mornings a week, and Clara is attached to my hip. They love it, I love it- it's all good. (No, Sam does not have a club foot- it just is an awkward shot.)


   

The House
Getting work done on our house taught me one thing- I could never build a house from the ground up. The stress of redoing two rooms is about all I think I could ever manage. The good news is that we were able to stay at Andrew's parents (who live the next street over- talk about convenient) while the work was getting done and while our belongings were being shipped back overseas. We did a little of the work ourselves, like ripping out the stucco walls, and we were in our house around mid October. I wanted the rooms to have lighter colors with a relaxing feel to them, and we're pleased with how everything turned out.

Before and During:

getting rid of the awesome stucco ceiling and walls
and at this point I was seriously questioning my sanity

After:

 I really wanted this tile layout and I would frequently ask our contractor if he hated me while he was laying it out- 
luckily he was a good sport about it all.


Jill, this last picture is for you. 
Remember, the next time you build a mansion and need to get rid of your old furniture, I am totally there for you!

And just for fun, Ashley and Becca, this is for you guys. Minute 2 is when Luke really starts to get into it. As you will see, I think it is hilarious.

2 Weddings and a Trip Home 

The traveling festivities started off with a quick trip to Grandma and Grandpa Walker's home in Cape May. The beach, seafood, naps for me, tractor rides for the kids, hugs from the grandparents- it was perfect.




Now for the weddings. In Mormon culture the bride typically gets married in the temple nearest to her childhood home. For my sisters and myself that happens to be the Washington D.C. Temple, which is conveniently located 20 minutes from my house. My sister, however, chose to get married where the groom is from... California. I eventually forgave her. Andrew and I were able to take a extended weekend trip for the wedding (with Clara in tow) and had a fantastic time. Prior to the wedding we squeezed in a couple of San Francisco tours and a trip to Muir woods. Everything was perfectly beautiful, and we couldn't be happier to add Jacob to our family!



Ash and Jacob were married in the Oakland temple and the reception was at Jacob's parents house. Everything was perfect! (Note- the picture perfect photos were taken by their photographer-not me!)

 




I get teary every time I look at this picture! 

Next up- my brother Joe who married Vanessa in the Salt Lake Temple. This wedding took place on Thanksgiving weekend, so unfortunately I had to leave Andrew and the kiddos behind. Actually, this was only the second time in 9 years that I traveled by myself, and I have to say that I really, really enjoyed myself! The wedding was beautiful, Vanessa looked stunning, and as always, I had the best time around my extended family. After the wedding there was a luncheon at the Lion House, and if you are ever in the Salt Lake area I highly suggest stopping if only to have their rolls and honey butter. Holy Hannah. Vanessa is a sweet as they come and we are so excited for another sister!

(My cousin Richard took the following pics.)



Ah, amore!

Fall Festivities 
Fall was busy for us (at least by my standards!), but it was still great.

Sam played some Fall Ball-
we frequently had a houseful of cousins and friends-

we trick or treated-




hunted for pumpkins and mums-

 
....and enjoyed the splendor of an East Coast fall.

Next up: 5 month recap part 2

9 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

yay for a blog update!

first.. LOVE the finished kitchen! love, love, love everything about it. your backsplash looks awesome. you did a really great job with it!

second... afton makes the cutest cinderella ever.

last... so great seeing you twice in the past couple months! can't wait to have you guys out here this summer!

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Umm, you forgot to mention the best thing about being in the States again...ME!

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

Um, did I not mention that there is going to be a part 2? That is agenda item #1!

Sean and Jeannette said...

AH! So good to see what life has been up to for you these past few months! I can't even imagine the adjustments. Your analogy of being thrown into the deep end with all of your kids sounds pretty spot on! I have a feeling you're going to experience that "crazy-house" feeling again when your kids hit their teen years--good luck turning the SWARMS of girls away from your boys....and seriously, AFTON?! Woah. Gorgeous. Good Luck! ;) Looks like you're ready for company! ;)

LK said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leona said...

Wow, you really showed great sense of taste. I love your Kitchen and Downstairs Area. Thanks for posting so much about your recent life, we still feel connected through your blog. Miss you all. Hug Sam for me, will you?!

AllAmericanGrl said...

love your blog update! :)

you have had a wicked busy couple of months!!!! i couldn't even imagine what it would be like going back after living here for so long. I guess it is really slow pace here compared to the states. I get overwhelmed just visiting Zurich haha! :)

But thats great the kids adapted and jumped right back into their routines!

btw - love the dance party! my goodness -- if i knew Afton did dress up - we should have gotten our girls together long ago! :)

The Walkers in NJ said...

SO happy to see you back in your states home!! The kids are beautiful. Your kitchen and family room are beautiful. The fall colors are beautiful and I personally love seeing the kids walking to school as opposed to those trams, that secretly terrified me (where the kids were concerned) and prayed daily for their safety! And, what a blessing and a half that you could return to the states this year so you could attend your brother and sisters weddings! WELCOME HOME!! :)

Vanessa & Joe Walker said...

Love your blog!!

The skinny black Santa part is hilarious! I would have loved to seen the kids reaction in person.

The kitchen transformation is amazing, the both rooms are. I love the before and after pics, makes everything that much worth it.

Over the Christmas break, that was a Duck Dynasty overload. I like the show before we started to watch it everyday at your house episode after episode, haha. Duck Dynasty Fever.

Love the kids Halloween costumes, precious!

Glad you guys are back home and settle down with everything. Cant wait to see you guys more often, and read more of your blogs!