Thursday, August 2, 2012

Time's a wasting

In the last couple of weeks the following comments have been made:

Sam: "When I grow up I'll live in America, but vacation in Germany."
Later, in a fit of rage my eldest also said: "We didn't do anything this summer!! All we did was go to Nice and Barcelona!"

Luke: "When we get back to American we need to find a castle and camp there."

And lastly there is Afton, who while holding up an ear of corn asked in a very perplexed voice, "What is this yellow thing?" (Fyi, corn is insanely expensive here, so I think that was the second time I had ever bought it.)

Each of these statements made me stop, stare at my children and think, "I have got to get these kids back to America". 

In reality my heart breaks a little (ok, more than a little) when I think about moving back to the US. We love the lifestyle here and we love the friendships that we have made. Of course the flip side is that we really do think it is time to get back. I'm excited to navigate in a familiar culture, speak in a language I know, and get our kids back into the arms of our families. So, with time quickly winding down we are savoring our experience to the end, starting with a trip to lovely Muren. Oh how we are going to miss these trips!



5 comments:

EAP said...

I went to Albuquerque and Spokane, and I thought I had a busy summer.

The Walkers in NJ said...

I didn't think I could make it 2-3years without your family when you left(this was your home after alland you were taking our grandkids far from us).... and during that time it seemed sooo long. and yet why do I miss your Swiss home a little too? life is so insane! Oh and I will miss your beautiful picturesque trip postings! Happy you had this wonderful experience and even happier your back!

Stephanie Saunders said...

I wish I could shout out in frustration, "All I did was go to Barcelona and Nice this summer!!"

That was hilarious.

Stephanie Saunders said...

And speaking of which, where are you on facebook? What name are you under? Search me for Stephanie Marie Saunders (Staats) or something like that...

The Walkers in NJ said...

The comments from the kids CRACK me up!!