Tuesday, July 3, 2012

When the moon hits your eye like a bigga-pizza-pie...

...that's amore.


So here's the deal. When you're a Mormon and have been dating someone for, oh let's say, 5 months or so, EVERY other Mormon you know starts to wonder when the heck you are going to get engaged. We're freak shows, I know. For example, my sister Ashley started dating a guy last year and when they were still going strong 6 months later we all started to wonder when they would get engaged. Again, no need to point out how crazy we are. We are fully aware.

Nevertheless, things were serious between those two and my parents and sisters brought the boyfriend (Jacob) in tow with them when they came to visit us this past May. Of course we all kept wondering if he would pop the question in Europe, and luckily for us, we didn't have to hold our breath for long.

Jacob ended up proposing to my sister in Italy. As luck may have it, my younger sister and I stumbled across the happy couple right in the middle of the proposal. It was dusk and
Becca and I were taking a walk along the nearly deserted beach. We saw a couple ahead of us, sitting near the water with a bonfire lit up behind them. As we approached we stopped dead in our tracks when we realized who it was and what was happening. The surge of excitement we felt was unreal, and somehow Becca and I managed to keep our squeals down as we clung to each other and backtracked along the beach.
We also manged to get off the beach unnoticed (even with me snapping pictures like a crazy women), but once we got to the boardwalk the flash of my camera gave us away. Ashley started calling our names, and then finally yelled, "I'M ENGAGED!!", which led us to screaming and running back to the beach.

Seeing my little sister get engaged was one of those perfectly beautiful moments in life. The bond I share with my sisters is so strong and I feel extremely fortunate to have been able to witness this huge event. I'm over the moon with happiness for those two and we cannot wait to have a new brother/uncle in our family!

This is what Becca and I stumbled across on our walk. Could there be a more romantic proposal???


1 comment:

The Walkers in NJ said...

"I'm over the moon with happiness" will go down as one of my favorite quotes from you!! Can I steal it to descibe my happiness as well over their engagement!!? Jacob- Jacob proposing to Ashley-an inspired(I feel)walk along the beach by her 2 sisters to be there to witess that once in a lifetime event, is life at its finest!What a happy time!