Monday, January 16, 2012

You might be in Switzerland if...

1. you enter the hospital- in labor- and the receptionist asks if you have an appointment.

2. you get an email explaining that the rush hour commute will be disrupted for a "Catastrophe Training Exercise". This is where a catastrophe is staged and reenacted by actors.

3. you count your discarded change and discover that it totals 116 francs.



4. your tram breaks down for 10 minutes and no one utters a single word or complaint.

5. you consider yourself one of the "lucky ones" because your local grocery store stays open until 8 pm on weekdays and 6 pm on Saturday (closed on Sundays of course).

6. your freezer height and depth are both shorter than the length of a pencil.



7. you get told off by random citizens for minor misdemeanors such as putting your feet up on a train seat.

8. you attempt to speak the national language but are continually spoken back to in English.

9. your American children prefer to wear swimsuits like this-



10. your American husband owns (and has worn) swimwear like this-





9 comments:

The Walkers in NJ said...

Too funny!! I can too testify that all these fun facts are indeed true! And-what a bold move in calling Andrew out!

erinmalia said...

hahaha. but will andrew wear it in the US? that is so great. i really don't think i could ever get chuck to do that. awesome.

EAP said...

Acck! I think those would get "lost" in the move back to the states.

EAP said...

Also, down here in Texas my children are considered under dressed at the pool. my son wears knee length trunks, and my daughter wears a racer back (?) one piece swimsuit. However, everybody else was wearing 3/4 length rash guard shirts with mock turtlenecks and sun hats.

Stephanie Saunders said...

Uh... I'm hoping he bought those without your knowledge...

Kristin and Dan said...

Ha ha ha!!! Love it! And it's all so true! Tell Andrew to be sure and bring that swimsuit to the Cape May beach next year! ;)

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

I think I still have a franc or two hanging around our house as well. I am truly disturbed by the image of Andrew's bikini bottom. I won't call it a swim suit, because it just isn't!

Jennie said...

So if andrew has as swim suit like that, what kind of "swiss" suit do you have? lol

Pia Williams said...

I just read this post and the comments and about peed in my pants laughing....Andrew's Swiss swim pants!! Being Swiss but having a US passport and living here, I totally get a kick out of your posts about all the cultural differences. I loved the one about having a baby US vs CH. So hilarious. I am actually glad to see there are still cultural differences given our world's "globalization" and migrations.