Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Holiday Begins

Sam and Ms. Patricksen, Luke and Frau Taksauoi

Sam- The International School Basel
Now that school is over Sam is in mourning- that kid is crazy for school. This year Sam had a fantastic teacher and a great class. He thrived at the International School, and while I don't think that the academics were as advanced as the US (or at least Montgomery County), we saw a huge growth in Sam. He seemed to gain a sense of identity as he became much more confident and outgoing. I think that the International School also did a great job at encouraging independence. Sam made some fantastic friends, and we are really looking forward to another year at the ISB.



Luke- Rainenweg Kindergarten
I loved seeing the cultural experience Luke received at his Swiss kindergarten. I marveled each time I went and saw his teacher and classmates speak to him in Swiss German- it never seemed to phase Luke at all. On the last day of school Luke's teacher even told me that he was starting to speak back in Swiss German. What a shame school ended when it did! The children were wonderful to Luke and always included him in their playing. Luke also made a couple of great friends and I think this really helped with his confidence as well. In the end, I credit this school for making Luke feel like he had a place in Switzerland. I'm so proud of that little boy!!

On the last day of school the kids did a play of"Snow White". I couldn't follow along too well, but it seemed to be a little darker than the Disney version. The best part? When Afton yelled out, "This is STUPID! I going bye-bye! (Anyone who personally knows Afton knows she has two sound controls- loud and louder. This was said in the "louder".) Luke played the Prince's assistant- he was adorable.



3 comments:

Kristin and Dan said...

That comment from Afton is HILARIOUS! It's so Afton! Miss you guys. Hope you enjoy your summer before coming out here to visit. Wish we could see you guys then!

Sean and Jeannette said...

I laughed out loud at the "louder" comment!! Eliza is the same way! She just had a check up at the doctor's office, and her doctor commented on "my what good lungs you have!" Yeah, I get it. My child is freaking loud! I absolutely LOVE/GREEN-WITH-MAJOR ENVY that you are seeing so many incredible places!! Soooo, how much are tickets to Switzerland??

The Walkers in NJ said...

I love how happy Sam and Luke look in their school environment...what a great experience for them and happy to see that Afton is thriving as well! Love these kids!