Saturday, June 18, 2011

The Garden

The lush gardens are often the first thing people notice when they come to Switzerland. The Swiss are amazing gardeners, but it also helps that the entire country is on miracle grow. Take my flower garden for example. Here is what it has looked like during the last 5 months:

February
These little beauties started to pop up everywhere.



March/April
Tulips sprung up like crazy and all of the trees started to flower.



April/May
When the tulips went away the irises came.



Then the peonies... it was like some beautifully orchestrated floral symphony.


June

Which brings us to June. Most of the perennials have since left (not the roses), but if you look closely in the picture below you will see a new addition to our yard. Something added by my own hand...



... a vegetable garden.

About a month ago I planted my first vegetable garden, and I hated it. It was way too much work. (Who knew??) My biggest problem? The watering and the weeding.

BUT, I am happy to report that as time has gone by, the garden and I have come to an understanding. Actually, Switzerland and I have come to an understanding. It has been raining here like crazy, which means that I rarely have to water my garden. Plus, some of the plants are starting to yield produce, which is much more exciting than I expected. Another fun thing is that we have discovered that most of the trees in our yard are fruit bearing trees. We just spent the last two weeks feasting on cherries, and the other trees are bursting with growing apples and peaches (at least I think they are peaches). We also have grape vines and a raspberry bush growing.






And now for the million dollar question: Can ANYONE tell me what type of tree/plant this is?

2 comments:

EAP said...

Gardening with rain and without Texas sized bugs sounds nice. Someone here once grew a cantaloupe. One day, it was finally big enough to eat. SO they picked it, only to discover that something had eaten a hole in the bottom and hollowed out all the fruit inside. No clue what your tree is, but it isn't a fig or plum tree.

Holman Girls said...

Im guessing a fruit tree of some sort :) Does that help. I'm sure you will know soon enough, they have it on a tressil for a reason.