Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Grandma and Grandpa: Part 1

Andrew's parents are planners- it's one of the many things that I admire about them. As soon as we discovered that we were moving to Switzerland my father-in-law started looking at plane tickets, and not long after our move, tickets were purchased for a two week trip at the end of April. The only downside was that the anticipation of their arrival lasted forever! If I could count the number of times we said, "Only 5 more months till Grandpa and Grandma come!"..."Only 4 more months till Grandpa and Grandma come!"..."Only 3 more months till Grandpa and Grandma come!"... you get the point.

The end of April finally arrived, and with it, our beloved Grandpa and Grandma. The weather was beautiful, the children healthy, and lot of new sites were discovered. The kids had a week off for spring break, which allowed us to travel around a bit. During the second week, Andrew's parents helped with school drop offs and pickups- which was wonderful for me. Really, it couldn't have been a better trip. Chris and Bert, we love you guys and we are excited that there are "only 2 more months" until we see you again!

*I excluded the pictures of the places that I've shown of this blog before (well, all except Gruyere).

Gruyere, Switzerland
The last time we were here, Gruyere was covered in snow. I loved seeing the contrast of winter and spring. Conclusion: Gruyere is breathtaking anytime of the year.





Wengen, Switzerland
We have been dying to get the Bernese Oberland, and one Saturday we finally made it. We drove most of the way, and then took a cogwheel train up to the town of Wengen, which is just below the Jungfrau. Upon our arrival we discovered that the hike we had planned was still closed for the season, so we just hiked about the town.








Lugano, Switzerland
We stopped in Lugano on our way down to the Italian Riviera (next post) for a quick lunch break. It is a lovely place, and we really need to do it justice by going back and enjoying it for a day or two.







4 comments:

erinmalia said...

Awesome pictures. I've been to the Jungfrau region and I'm so jealous you were able to be there. It looks beautiful.

The Walkers in NJ said...

Beautiful scenery and even more Beautiful pictures of Grandma and Grandpa Willis with their grandchildren!! loved it!

The Walkers in NJ said...

That picture of Afton with her Grandpa is just too cute!! I am just oohing and aahing at these pictures!

Kristin and Dan said...

I loved seeing your pictures of Wengen - we loved what little bit of that town we got to see. (And the guys loved their wursts there!)