Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Paris...just the 3 of us

Is there anything more romantic than a couple spending the weekend together in Paris?

How about adding your sister into the equation.

My brother (Dan) and his wife (Kristin) are currently visiting, and last weekend we- My brother, my SIL, and I- headed to The City of Lights. Actually, our entire family was supposed to go, but once Andrew visualized our children in Paris, he suggested that I join Dan and Kristin by myself. What a brilliant man I married.

This was a lovely trip- for many reasons, but the top 5 are:
  1. Rather than driving, we took the train. 166 Swiss Francs and 3 1/2 hours later, we were in the center of Paris. Completely effortless.
  2. I was able to travel with only ONE backpack and only had myself to worry about.
  3. I did not bring a camera!! Kristin took all of the pictures, and I think that may have been the best part of the trip.
  4. The Louvre. I was able to go into the Louvre and I still have a high from it.
  5. I was able to spend time quality time with Dan and Kristin. Thanks for making it a great trip you guys! We love you and had so much fun!
As for the rest- here are the pictures. As you can see the weather was perfect, and no, my sister-in-law is incapable of taking a bad picture. It boggles the mind. Fortunately I love her.

The Arc de Triomphe



I previously never understood the hype of the Arc de Triomphe. It is an arch surrounded by a massive traffic circle- big deal. But in person, oh boy, it is marvelous. And magnificent. And I loved it. We also loved watching the madness that was the 8 "lane" circle surrounding the arch. We waited and waited to see an accident, but somehow one never happened.



The Eiffel Tower
We took a night cruise on the Seine and were able to get some great views of this site. We also discovered that at night the tower lights up with millions of glittering lights for 5-10 minutes each hour. I thought is was so cool!



The Louvre
I've been dreaming of going to the Louvre since my teenage years, and I really can't remember the last time I felt so giddy (Ok, it was when Andrew told me they built a Cafe Rio in Maryland). It was wonderful and I still feel like I am in high from viewing all of the exquisite art.








Me, Kristin and Mona.
We had to elbow some Italian tourists to get this shot, so I hope you appreciate it.

Orangerie Musuem
This museum houses two large oval rooms which are made up of 8 massive Monet Water Lily paintings.



Luxembourg Gardens



Sacre-Coeur
This is a stunning basilica, but I found the inside borderline creepy. While beautiful, there was a priest giving a sermon while hundreds of tourist walked around browsing the gift shops.



enjoying some fine French cuisine



Notre-Dame
Out of all of the city views we had, the view from Notre-Dame was my favorite. I loved those gargoyles! I also thought the bell which is featured in the Hunch Back of Notre-Dame was pretty cool.





We were able to see lots more, but those are the biggy sites.

4 comments:

Eisha said...

You have a tan...it is summer over there hu...it is dark and cold over here and christmas is a long way away!

Amazon Mama said...

That is so awesome! I bet the Louvre was a dream! Wish I could come!

The Walkers in NJ said...

Very cool and very yummy loking lunch! Love the shots of you and Kristin in particular! Paris looks beautiful!

Kristin and Dan said...

Okay I am amazed that you could cram all that into one short post! Me, on the other hand... I am blogging each day, day by day, with about 30 pictures for every post probably. Ha ha, talk about a novel! Paris was SO FUN - and we loved having you there with us! We did so much in just 48 hours - I still can't believe we did that much in such a short time! By the way, I think it's more than possible for me to take a bad picture - but thanks for the compliment, I'll take it! :)