At Luke's Swiss kindergarten when a boy or girl has a birthday, that child does not go to school in the morning. Instead, all of the other kids meet at the school (as they normally would), and then they walk to the house of the birthday child. The class stands outside of the house, sings "Happy Birthday" and then the child with the birthday gets to ride back to school in a wagon pulled by his or her classmates. This child also has to bring muffins (no cupcakes- healthy food only!) to share with the class.
Well, today is Luke's 5th birthday, and can I just say that I am in love with this tradition? (Not so much the muffin part, but whatever.) Luke was so excited for this to happen, and although he was a little shy, I could tell he was loving every minute of it. The class sang "Happy Birthday" to Luke twice (once in English and once in German) and then they walked the 5 blocks back to school with Luke in tow. In the pictures below you can also see Luke's teacher, "Frau Taksaui"- whose name I ask Luke to say daily, because I think it sounds so cute when he says it.
Well, today is Luke's 5th birthday, and can I just say that I am in love with this tradition? (Not so much the muffin part, but whatever.) Luke was so excited for this to happen, and although he was a little shy, I could tell he was loving every minute of it. The class sang "Happy Birthday" to Luke twice (once in English and once in German) and then they walked the 5 blocks back to school with Luke in tow. In the pictures below you can also see Luke's teacher, "Frau Taksaui"- whose name I ask Luke to say daily, because I think it sounds so cute when he says it.
The yellow motorcycle in the picture below is what the mailmen use here. There is a little wagon attached to the back which holds all of the mail. I've been trying to get a picture of it for months- so here you go...kind of!

Now, can I just take a "mom moment" and say how proud I am of Luke? We threw him into a school which is completely foreign to him, and he has handled it so incredibly well. I know they say that children are adaptable, but I've seen the effort Luke has put into getting adjusted here. He's now to the point where he loves school, has some good friends there, and looks forward to going everyday.
And lastly, some pictures of Luke's party which we had on Saturday with a few of his friends from school and church (I was too afraid to invite any kids from school who I wouldn't be able to communicate with- obviously I'm not as brave as Luke).
14 comments:
that is sooo cool! i want a wagon ride on my birthday. i, too, am impressed with your children. what an experience.
I love it! That is so cute and Luke is adorable! I can't believe he is Five! Crazy! Miss you.
I know I say it every chance I get, but what an amazing experience! I can't get over how awesome this move is for you guys. Luke is the cutest thing I have ever seen... Happy Birthday little man! CALL ME!
I miss my baby boy so much!!! i cannot wait to see him in the summer! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LUKE!
That last comment was from Becca.
Anyway what an awesome tradition. I say lets start it here in America! Course everyone there lives within walking distance to the school. What a wonderful experience this is for Luke. WE love you very very much Luke!
love~ Grandma and Grandpa Walker
I think I would rather make muffins than cupcakes like I had to for my daughter's birthday. I hate frosting cupcakes. What is the green box suspended on a pole? Is it a Swiss mailbox?
Oh and can I add that I love how all the children are lined up so perfectly!! That just really caught my eye!! That and Luke being carried away in the wagon!!
Oh! we miss you guys!!
Insist on the wagon for your own birthday, Jess!
I wish the little gremlins at slower Lower had been made to come and pull me to school in a wagon! That would have been epic!
Your children are SO beautiful. You and Andrew are a great genetic combo. You should have more. The world could use more handsome boys and beautiful girls:)
That is the best birthday tradition ever!!!! Happy birthday, Luke!
Ben says, "It's Luke! He's 5!" Sending some beleated birthday love across the ocean.
I love that idea! And I love that Luke loves his school even though it is a different language right? Awesome! You all are so brave and adventurous!
I love it, I have never heard of that...no wagon rides in England and we all rode our bikes to school....which means we were close enough for wagon rides! future suggestion if we ever go back.
Those are the kind of memories that will last with him forever. Can you even imagine them trying something like that in Montgomery County?! NEVER!
wow Luke's kindergarten was awesome!!! we didn't have anything of that here - maybe it is a tradition only in your town?? But we were allowed to bring sweets for the birthday (the 1st year of kindergarten), and so i had hubby make brownies haha! :) the second year - the parents didn't want to do anything, so the teachers came up with stuff for the kids.
Post a Comment