Sunday, September 12, 2010

One Month Assessment


Bern, Switzerland

On Tuesday it will be one month since we've moved to Switzerland. The time has flown by, and in many ways it seems like we have been here much longer. We have a Swiss bank account, we secured permanent housing for ourselves (we move into our new place on November 1st), our car is currently being "converted" to European standards, and most importantly, we received our letters yesterday informing us that we are officially Swiss residents (not to be confused with Swiss citizens).

While the big things all seem to be falling into place, we are continuing to get our social footing here as well. Andrew's work, Sam's school and our church have all played a big role in this. On Tuesday night I was invited to a baby shower thrown by some Swiss women. They informed me that the Swiss do not give baby showers, and that none of them had ever attended one before. You would never have guessed this though. They got all of their games and decoration ideas from the internet, and had enough food to feed 200. As I sat and listened to the lively conversation- all in German- I realized that even though I was clueless and completely out of my element, I was having the time of my life.

Yes, we are having fun here, but most importantly, I think we are all adapting well. Andrew has his first business trip next week, so I may be changing my tune after experiencing Switzerland solo. Wish me luck.

-----------------------------

Below are some pictures from this weekend. On Saturday we visited nearby castle ruins in Dornach (this is about 10 minutes from our soon-to-be house). The castle was built around 1350 and sustained a lot of destruction during the Battle of Dornach in 1499. The ruins were pretty remarkable, and the backdrop breath taking. It wasn't hard to envision the history there.




And today, we took a train to Bern to attend Stake Conference (this is a semi-annual regional church meeting). It was great meeting, especially since 2 of the speakers spoke in English. Afterwords we took the opportunity to walk around the city, and like all of the Swiss cities we've been too, it was beautiful. The highlight for the boys was visiting the famed "bear pits"






One of the bears from the "bear pits".



14 comments:

Ashtrey said...

I think your blogs keep getting better and better each time.Your gonna have to tell me all about the new house!! I don't know what it is about you, but you look so Europeanized in the pics, I like it! Of course my favorite pic naturally is with you and Sammy totally making a (me) face, haha missyou all

Ashtrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Fav sis said...

UGH! ashley just totally said whati was going to say about you and sammy being my favorite picture! great minds think alike..well it looks like your having a blast and i miss you like crazy! Btw why is Afton so adorable?

The Walkers in NJ said...

With each blog, I feel we are right there with you!! What an amazing place! We gather as a family...all 3 of us now and look at every picture, as I read the posts out loud. We miss you here, but rather think we would like to be there with all of you!!

That picture of Afton walking with her father is as priceless as they come! She is just full of spunk!

The Walkers in NJ said...

Oh and did I mention that Andrew and the kids climbing up the hill remind me of the Von-Trapp family?

erin leigh said...

I have to agree with Janet..Afton is totally adorable!!!!!!!!!! I think we got a mini-jessica in the works..alright!

Lori Ann said...

I am so jealous. So, so jealous. I love your positive attitude. I love learning about the culture..no babyshowers? What do they do to welcome babies traditionally? I know you are busy and European and probably are forgetting your english by now, but you have to post more! We are dying to here all the details!

Erica said...

Super cool Jess!

Jake said...

Wow, I love reading your posts, and seeing your pictures.

Kim Jon and kids said...

Ashley completely said what I was thinking!! You look European with your hair like that - and it totally works - I LOVE your hair that way!!! Love the blog.. and miss you lots <3 Not talking to you three times a week while are kids scream in the background is getting old :(

Sean and Jeannette said...

So awesome, Jess!! Man, it looks like every which way you look in Switzerland, it's beautiful! By the way, I love your bangs...I think you just convinced me to get get me some for the fall season! :)

Kristin and Dan said...

One month already? You sound like you are adjusting amazingly well. Good luck while Andrew is gone! Love your hair!

Stephanie Saunders said...

I know this isn't the point of your post, but I LOVE your hair in that picture! And by the way- since you're all the way in Switzerland and I'm figuring they don't have Costcos, I finally bit the bullet and got an exclusive membership that gives you a rebate. I shop there too much to not justify it- not like in MD where I DREADED going and went there once a month.

Stephanie Saunders said...

I guess I should mention that it didn't cancel your account or anything. It just removed my name from it.