Tuesday, September 21, 2010

All By Myself

The test has arrived to see how I handle living in Europe as a single parent. Andrew was in Stockholm last week, home for 2 days, and now is in Singapore for a week (our understanding is that he typically won't have trips this close together). Prior to his departure I maintained a positive attitude (mostly) and envisioned the kids and myself having movie nights, going on walks to get gelato, and eating pizza every night (this, because it takes 5 minutes to make).

The reality: I awoke to Luke throwing up on Sunday morning.

The good news is that we made it to a pumpkin festival the day before (pictures below), and Luke's illness only lasted 2 days. On top of that, no one else seems to have contracted the illness. I'll count it as a victory. I've also discovered that Andrew being away while living in Europe is just like Andrew being away while living in the US. The kids and I maintain our daily routines and look forward to his return. Oh, and I also get to stay up as late as I want reading (I'm starting book 4 of the Fablehaven series which I began 3 days ago) and I get to control the TV/DVD player. I'm still trying to figure out if I'll be watching Pride and Prejudiced or Little Women tonight. Maybe I'll watch a little of both, or maybe I'll just read my book.

Here are some pictures from the pumpkin festival. We missed you Andrew!






I thought this was kind of cool. This was a game where the kids had to stack plastic crates on top of each other while climbing the crate tower. The higher they got, the more unstable and wobbly the stack became. Of course they were wearing harnesses, but those kids were fearless (most seemed to be around 5-8 years old)! I tried to get Sam and Luke to do it, but had no luck.


7 comments:

Lori Ann said...

I dont know how you do it. You are brave! Can you call him easily? What is the deal with cell phones over there? Can you call between countries? How do you make pizza in five minutes? Which Pride and Prejudice? I love the BBC ones! I vote that for every trip Andrew goes on, you should schedule one for yourself! :)

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

When Jack is on a trip I miss him for about one day and then I just enjoy watching whatever movies I want, reading at night in my own bed (instead of on the couch,) for as long as I want and sleeping in the middle of the bed, using all of the pillows.

Kelly said...

You go girl! Way to look on the friggen (sp?) bright side when life hands you a vomiting child when your husband is gone.

Great photos on the blog btw!

Anonymous said...

All by myselffffff dont wanna be.. all by mysellff...sing it jessie

The Walkers in NJ said...

Why do these pictures look like you are in MD at the pumpkin patch!
I think you are doing so well so far there. Just keep the windows closed!

Joe and Karen said...

Hang in there Jess. I can fully relate. When you get into a routine its becomes easier. You get used to it and you kinda adapt. I really miss you lots and just miss calling you whenever. I need your number. Maybe we can skype one of these days. I love you. LOve, Karen

depressed said...

ugh i hate the stupied time difference. i wanna skype right now, im in a talkative mooodddd n miss myyy sistaaaaaaaaaaaa, mom and dad just arent entertaining enough nemore, bring back the grandkidddds!