Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Birthday/Mother's Day

If I didn't have the best mother, mother-in-law, and kids, I might begrudge having my my birthday fall on Mother's Day this year. But, sharing my birthday with this holiday allowed me to focus on what an amazing family I have been given. Both Andrew and I hit the jackpot when it comes to our mothers. Both are incredibly loving, talented, and wonderful examples. We feel blessed to not only have them as our mothers, but as our friends as well. I also feel like we hit the jackpot with our children. I can't even begin to express how much I love being the mother of those crazy kids.

We celebrated this special "me" weekend in Cape May with my family. All I have to say is that I was spoiled rotten. My whole family was spoiled rotten for that matter. Andrew and I even got to go out on the town one night- added bonus! 3 of my siblings were home, so it was fun to pal around with them too. It was a fantastic way to welcome life as a 28 year old!

And with that, I leave you with some pictures of our weekend and my "Top 6 Self-Discoveries" during this past year...
  1. Makeup is required. Makeup used to be optional, but after catching some non-makeup glances of myself in the mirror this past year, makeup has become mandatory. I'm slightly bitter that I have to wear concealer and foundation while my mother still wears neither. So much for genetics.

  2. Comfort over fashion. Even though I wear makeup daily, a t-shirt and jeans are still my daily staples. I have, however, given the heave-hoe to any footwear with a heal. Its flats, flips-flops, ugg boot or sneakers for me. I've got kids to get to school, not a fashion show to attend!

  3. I love reading "Teen Sci-Fi" books. I'm still not sure how this happened, but I know that I loved the Harry Potter Series, The Hunger Games, and all of Shannon Hale's books. Yikes.

  4. I hate country music. I find that my previously favorite genre of music grates on my nerves and is extremely cheesy. This is amazing to me because I used to LOVE it.

  5. I love my husband more than ever. I know, I know, I've been saying this a lot lately, but it still surprises me how much being around Andrew never gets old!

  6. I am amazed at how much I love being a mom. If I had the choice to do anything in this world, I don't think I could find anything that would bring me as much happiness as being a mom...even on the days when I want to rip all of my hair out.

Standing in front of the banner that is made for every family member for every birthday


The kids with Grandma and all of her Mother's Day spoils

And finally, a picture of Andrew STILL eating while we are trying to clean up and clear the dinner table


7 comments:

Kim Jon and kids said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Am I the worst friend EVER, or what? I am so sorry I haven't even called you yet to say Happy Birthday! I was in Lancaster this past weekend... (no excuse) I'm a jerk. I will call you Thursday! I love this post. The family picture is perfect. You look beautiful, as always!

Mary Killion said...

HAPPY (BELATED) BIRTHDAY JESS! I'm glad you guys had a great weekend in CM. I love the picture of Andrew still eating when the table's nearly cleared! haha Had to laugh out loud with that one!
And by the way, you look FABULOUS in those pictures. Mrs. Skinny! :)

Eisha said...

happy birthday (I must be only 4-5 days older than you) I had no idea we were that close!

Trey said...

We love the new blog!!!!(mom and me)Okay but you know what?? That first picture has got to go...like now! You know how i feel about it..enough said.

Kelly said...

Happy Birthday. I would trade skin with you any day sweetie!

Mom said...

You are the best Mom! By the way, you choose to wear foundation even though you don't need it, I'm sure I need it, but choose not to wear it!

Kristin and Dan said...

Okay I'm finally getting a chance to catch up on your blogs after A) buying a house B) cleaning and painting for 4 days C) moving into my house (still not 100% done though) D) organizing and doing a yard sale, and E) finally getting internet hooked up in our house! Ha ha, so yes, in other words, I am JUST reading your blogs from your birthday and yes, I am JUST wishing you a happy birthday! I am so sorry I am SO slow in my birthday/mother's day wishes to you! I am so happy you had such a good birthday - too bad Dan and I were the ONLY ones not there, huh?! I love all of the pictures from your visit out there - can't wait to finally see your kiddos again in a couple months!