Friday, June 12, 2009

Attack of the Butterflies

Every year from May until September I see a large sign advertising the annual butterfly show at our local conservatory. Every year I say I'm going to go, and every year I decide that $6 for adults and $4 for children is just WAY too much money to spend looking at butterflies.

Well, every year except for this year.

This was the year that I finally broke down and decided that it was high time we saw those darned butterflies. Can I just say that it was the best $14 I've spent in a while? I wouldn't even be able to guess how many butterflies they had packed into that greenhouse. (hundreds? thousands?) We literally had to duck when we first walked in to avoid all of the swarming butterflies. Pictures could never do this place justice. Maybe a video would adequately capture the butterfly insanity. Hands down, our favorite was a large black and blue beauty which refused to stay put for more than 2 seconds. Others weren't so flighty, which allowed for closer observation, and we even had a few land on us.

Who knows, attending the annual butterfly show may have to become a family tradition.




5 comments:

erinmalia said...

this is the one at wheaton? would a 15-month-old enjoy it?

Jess, Andrew and Family said...

It is, and I think Rhett would love it. It is also free for children under 2. Unlike when you are outside, there is no way he could miss seeing the butterflies. My only complaint was that it was extremely humid in there!

Katie said...

We've been debating wether to go or not. We might just have to make our way over there. I think Coster would like it.

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

I like Sam's face in the last picture; he looks angry with the butterfly on his leg!

Erica said...

Way to go Jess! I love the butterflies too. Kate wants to go there for her birthday next year with her friends.