Sunday, May 31, 2009

Graduation Day

Recap of the last 9 years:
July 2000- Andrew and I meet and start attending BYU that fall
June 2001- we get married
May 2004- we graduate from BYU
Sept. 2004- Andrew begins his masters’ program at American University
May 2006- Andrew graduates from AU
Sept. 2006- Andrew begins his second masters' degree at Johns Hopkins
May 2009- Andrew graduates from JHU

Of course some other major events occurred, but the point is, Andrew has been in school for (count em) 9 straight years.

Last Friday was Andrew’s graduation from Johns Hopkins University. I don’t think I realized how proud I have been until I watched him walk across the stage to receive this last diploma. When we graduated from BYU I was too busy being proud of myself to even give Andrew much thought. He chose not attend his AU graduation, so there really wasn’t much closure or reflection there. But this graduation seemed different- mostly because it will be his last and there seemed to be some finality to it all, like a huge chapter in our lives has been closed.

Based off of my observations, I would say that this is the degree Andrew has enjoyed the most. The late nights have been hard, but the course work interesting (at least to him) and relevant to his work. There were many occasions where he would come home and excitedly try to explain things like “credit derivatives” to me (if there ever was a lost cause, this would have been it).

Although I was simply a bystander during this whole schooling process, it feels good to have Andrew done. Both of our parents were able to attend the graduation, along with his brother Peter and our children. The biggest sacrifice of the day came from Sammy who had to miss his own preschool graduation on account of his father's graduation (I'm joking about the sacrifice part). It really was a lovely graduation, and again, Congratulations Andrew!









12 comments:

EAP said...

Congratulations! It must be good to be done with school. Thank you also for the nine year summary, I've mostly missed the last 4 years. So what was Andrew's John Hopkins Masters in?

Jake said...

I want to hear that lecture on derivatives. Congratulations.

Kristin and Dan said...

How exciting! Andrew is one smart cookie!! How crazy that he has 2 Masters. I am sure you will be so happy to have him more to yourself now! Congrats Andrew!!

Oh and PS, I can't believe how big Afton is! She is so cute!

Katie said...

Wow 9 years! Talk about persistant. Way to go Andrew!

Jack, Merry & T-Man said...

Awesome! Now Jack and Andrew can start their two masters degree club! Congratulations to both of you!

erinmalia said...

let's just hope it's truly his last degree (for your sake anyway). congrats to andrew!

Mary Killion said...

LOVE THE PICTURES! Where did you get Afton's dress?--so pretty!! Congratulations to Andrew! Your mom was telling me that they were able to go down for the graduation. Hey--I leave for Utah on Friday morning (I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my BFF) so if the weather is good this week, let's go get some strawberries!!!

The Wies Family said...

Congratulations, Andrew!!! Trent just barely graduated with his associates as an RN. He still has many years of schooling left...I wish we were already at the point of "the last graduation". It must be a great place to be at.

Mom said...

Oh the pride and joy we have for our wonderful son-in-law Andrew who was beaming as he strode across the stage! Look at the confidence he has!

We are extrememly proud of you with all the hard work you have put into your studies and schooling for the past 9 years, and feel so blessed to have you part of our family. Like Jess, you are an amazing person!

Amanda said...

Awwww Jess, your mom is so sweet!

Congrats Andrew and Jess, you both worked hard for these degrees...good luck on the next chapter!

kdwinegarfamily said...

You are such a supportive wife! No matter how much you think you complained! Its finally over! YEY YOU! And Andrew of course!

Doorly

Erica said...

Congratulations both of you! We are so happy for this phase of your life to be over...and for bigger and better things to come!