Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cel-e-brate good times, COME ON!!!

When we first bought our condo (nearly 4 years ago) it had a clean, crisp aroma to it. It was August at the time, so the combination of sunshine and fresh-smellingness made our new home very inviting. We lived like this for nearly 2 months. Then one day a strange, distinct odor entered our lives. For the longest time we couldn't figure out what it was or where it was coming from. We started smelling "the odor" from under our bathroom sink, the garbage disposal and even the dishwasher, until it ultimately took over our entire home. It wasn't until weeks later that I noticed the same smell coming from our new neighbor's apartment. Upon closer inspection I was immediately able to identify the mystery odor- cigarette smoke.

For a while we tried to ignore the smell, but it turned out that this neighbor was a SERIOUS chain smoker who stayed indoors ALL DAY LONG. After a little deliberation, I convinced (forced) Andrew to go downstairs and kindly ask if she could possibly smoke outside, or at the very least, crack open a window every now and then. Her polite response, "no".

In a nutshell, we have been dealing with this stench for years. To say that it has been an inconvenience would be a major understatement. "Life altering" would be a more accurate description. Nothing we did (and believe me, we tried it all) alleviated that stale smoke smell from our condo. BUT YOU KNOW WHAT??? I am totally willing to put that all in the past because this past week I had the pleasure of watching our neighbor pack up and move!!! I've been dreaming of this day for what seems like forever and now that it has arrived I can honestly say that it has surpassed my expectations! For the first time in years I have been able to walk through my door and NOT be smacked in the face with that disgusting smoke smell. I feel like I should be in a Frabreez commercial!

Underneath it all my now ex-neighbor really was a nice lady. I wish her all the best in her new home!

5 comments:

erinmalia said...

hey, congrats! i can only imagine how awesome that is.

The Wies Family said...

What a horrible thing to have to live with! Good thing that is no longer your problem. Hopefully your new neighbor doesn't have any bad smelling addiction(s)/habit(s).

Amanda said...

it's been 4 years?!?! no way! I remember you mentioning the neighbor shortly after moving in, I can't believe you endured so long...what a glorious day for you to watch her go :)

Tracie Bramhall said...

We dealt with that in the first apartment Dave and I lived in. I can not believe you had to deal with it for 4 years. I will celebrate for you.

Erica said...

Oh My Gosh! She finally is gone! I can't believe it. CELEBRATE! You are awesome and so sweet, still wishing her the best. I don't think I could have done that. So happy for you! I agree, you have put up with a lot. Good luck selling too. It will all work out...as it always does, just takes time.