Monday, May 7, 2012

USA Bound



As almost everyone knows, we've received our marching orders. On August 16th we'll be heading back to the States. How do we feel about it? Torn. We absolutely love it here, and yet there is an air of excitement when we think about getting home. For example- Andrew has really enjoyed his work here in Basel, but he is also excited about getting back to his job at the Federal Reserve. I think "bittersweet" is the perfect word to describe how we feel.


I know it will be painful to leave. Aside from the wonderful friends we have made (post on that later), there are so many things that we have grown to love about Switzerland. Below are some of the things that we will miss most.

The Sounds
I love hearing the church bells ring on the hour. I love hearing accordion players all over the city- even in front of the grocery store. It is like having my own soundtrack playing while I'm out. I even love the sounds of the police sirens. They're different from the US ones (think Bourne Identity), and the novelty of hearing them still hasn't worn off for me.

The View
Switzerland is packed full of views which literally take your breath away. In the warmer months it is bursting with lush vegetation and vibrant floral colors. Topped off with castles dotting the hillsides (we can see 3 from our house) and bright blue/green rivers and lakes, you have truly magical setting.

School and Play
I love that school is never canceled and that the kids have outdoor recess in almost every weather condition. I love that my kids get to actually sing Christmas songs at school. That I can bring in homemade baked goods and that the teachers can give my kids hugs and kisses. The atmosphere is so relaxed, and as a parent, I find that I am more relaxed here. The International School has exposed my kids to so many different cultures and backgrounds and really has boosted Sam and Luke's confidence. Their school does a fabulous job on embracing other cultures, but at the same time instilling a pride in the children for their home counties. It is such a cool balance.

Traditions and Holidays
Discovering new traditions and holidays has been a lot more fun then I expected. It might be a little hard to celebrate Fasnacht while in the US, but I hope we can carry over some of the other celebrations and traditions we have discovered here. Who's up for a 3 King's Day celebration?

Location, Location, Location
I doubt that we will ever live in a location as awesome as this. We are an hour away from the Alps, 3 hours from Paris, 6 hours from Venice, the Italian Riveria, Nice, Salzburg, 7 hours from Florence, Vienna...you get the point. It goes without saying, but I am really going to miss traveling around Europe.

Simpler lifestyle
More than anything I am going to miss the simpler lifestyle here- this is something that almost all American ex-pats comment on. Andrew is only a 15 minute (2.5 mile) tram-ride away from work, which means we get to see him in both the mornings and the evenings, or even meet up for lunch. I love that I can get almost anywhere by either walking, tramming, training or busing it. Driving our car is completely optional (I'm trying not to drive this month). But if I do drive, I love that I can quickly run into the market and leave the kids in the car without worrying about getting arrested. I love that most stores are closed after 6 pm on weekdays, and after 4 pm on Saturdays (closed on Sundays of course!)- it forces me to spend more time with my family. I love that everything is so much less commercialized here. I love that the Swiss aren't flashy and never seem to flaunt their wealth. You really have to look hard to see a discrepancy in paychecks. These differences really make for a laid-back atmosphere that we have loved.

The last 2 years have been so good for our family. The idea of relocating to a new country was initially terrifying, but I can honestly say that we have loved every minute of our experience. With that said, we are becoming really excited to get back to The States. We are American and America is home. As nice as this adventure has been, the boys are excited to get back into baseball, I'm looking forward to losing the weird mix of English/German/hand language I speak in public, and heaven knows Andrew is ready to watch ESPN for a straight year. So, we have 3 months left to enjoy Europe, and 3 more months until we get home. It really is a win-win.

2 comments:

Lori Hinsdale said...

It really does sound bittersweet. I still remember your first few weeks over there, living in the apartment and trying to drive your car through that narrow parking garage. Thanks for letting the rest of us live vicariously through your adventures! It will be amazing to have your back home and this time we totally have to all get together. We so need to have an old school Cape May branch ex-young women's sleepover! Prepare for some vanilla ice themed dance contest and tp'ing the missionaries!!

The Walkers in NJ said...

I agree 100% with all you said...though initially worried in how you would do in that environment-we immediately saw that you hit the ground running when you landed in Basel for the first time, and have loved every minute of it during this 2 year duration. We can see that in every aspect, this has been a wonderful growing time for your family filled with so many positive experiences......experiences and friendships that are both etched into your memories as well as your characters. Being there 3 times myself,I can totally see why you love it so much. There were things in those short periods of time that I too loved, whether it be in the majestic beauty of the alps, to the serene walks in your back hills that found me almost feeling that I was returning home in a sense when we came to visit this last time. You have made it your home there- you have thrived and you have been happy, and you have been blessed and watched over. Yet your home will always be where your family is and your will thrive and be happy regardless of where you are at. For the past 2 years it so happened to be in Basel Switzerland- and that undoubedtly has been a great blessing in your life. Now, we look forward to you returning to your American home and being alot closer to the rest of your family!!! Enjoy the next few months and then we will be here to welcome you back with open arms!!