Even though I've been desperately hoping this baby would come early, I'm mostly glad that I held out this long (as if I really have any say in the matter). We were able to complete all of the traditional fall activites, which leaves me with some sense of satisfaction.
We kicked off our festivites by frequenting our local pumpkin patch. There the kids were able to mingle with the livestock and pick out our family pumpkins.
We kicked off our festivites by frequenting our local pumpkin patch. There the kids were able to mingle with the livestock and pick out our family pumpkins.
We also were able to attend Herbstmesse, which is Basel's annual autumn fair. The kids rode plenty of rides, we ate plenty of junk, and Andrew even convinced me to ride the ferris wheel. Due to my crazy fear of heights I spent the whole time on the verge of tears, but we got some nice shots of Basel.
The icing on the cake, however, was that we were able to go trick or treating this year! It was a huge improvement over last year where Andrew and I passed out candy as the kids knocked on our bedroom doors. Lame. This year we found an ex-pat neighborhood which celebrated Halloween, and were shocked to see so many kids from the International School there. It was wonderful seeing our costumed children run house to house collecting their goods. Halloween is still catching on here, so we found doors with signs saying "Candy" (if they were passing out candy) and doors with signs saying "No Halloween" or "No Candy" for those not celebrating. My favorite was a door with pumpkin pictures crossed out. Very effective for the non-readers.
After trick or treating we ate at the Sports Club for Andrew's work which is conveniently located next to the neighborhood where we went trick or treating. It was the perfect ending to our October.
9 comments:
I'm so glad you managed to get in all the traditional fall festivities. Now it's time to hibernate. Good luck with the next few weeks! I wish I could be there to help.
haha. can i make a picture of crossed-out pumpkins just for fun?
Love your boots! And I know to never ask Dan what he thinks about clothes by now... his response would have been the exact same as Andrew's I'm sure. Good luck with everything this week. We'll be thinking of you!
(Oh and I bet the kids were thrilled to get to go trick or treating this year!)
Oh and I meant to tell you too... those pictures of Basel from the ferris wheel were AMAZING! I want to go back!!!!
Why are my grandkids so cute!! and way to get your moneys worth out of that superman costume Luke!! So glad that your able to enjoy some of the fun American "holidays" while you are there and while the kids are young.
Hey!! Its me the mom/grandma!! far from anonymous!
So fun and so pretty! That is one of the reasons why I am excited to move to Indiana... because they are the festival state. They have festivals for everything! Monte and I went to two of them on the same day while we were there and it was just fun!
Anyway, I always delivered early- so I cannot imagine what you must be feeling like right now! Good luck!!!!
# 1, love the boots. Andrew is way too much like Jack. I have one Jacket with a hood so I wear it when it rains and he calls me grandma every time. As in "Truman have fun driving to school with grandma." Oh I love him so.
#2, your kids are stinkin' cute. Afton's pigtails kill me. She can definitely marry Truman.
So we have been abroad for going on 5 years and this year I just gave up on Halloween. My younger two will probably never know what it is. Olivia's last Halloween was when she was 3 years old--I guess you give and take abroad hu! :-(
Post a Comment