Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Random Moments Wednesday

1. "It's a NAKED GIRL!!!"
My boys are currently obsessed with "naked girls". I'm not sure if it is the age, or simply a result of living in Europe. I should note that I don't think either has seen an actual "naked girl", but those two giggle like school girls at the sight any female showing a little skin. Do you see the picture below? It is from the packaging of my nylons. So far I have found it in their room 5 times. 5 times! I keep throwing it away, and yet it keeps magically reappearing under their pillows. When I last took it away they informed me that they are "really good lookers", so I basically shouldn't even bother taking it away.



2. Gardening Lesson #1: variety is a must.
My first gardening experience has taught me that 4 cucumber plants yield WAY more cucumbers than one family can consume.



3. "You're Fired!"
This is the latest phrase Luke says when he is upset with either me or Andrew. And he is dead serious when he says it. I think I've been fired about 2o times in the last few days. At one point I told him that if it were possible for me to be fired, I would have fired myself a long, long time ago.



4. Lost kid at the Zoo

Onto more Luke news- I lost Luke at the Basel zoo last week. Actually, I maintain that I didn't lose him, but that he lost himself by running ahead. Either way, after yelling and running around like a crazy woman for about 5 minutes, I found him walking away from the barnyard section. He didn't seem too concerned about being separated, and when I later asked him how he felt while lost he replied, "I was sad...BUT THE PIGS MADE ME FEEL BETTER!" He then proceeded to laugh. The fact that Luke was cluelessly enjoying himself while lost is basically all you need to know about my second child.

5. Older Brothers
She insists on wearing dresses everyday, daydreams about princesses kissing princes, prefers the color pink, and dances around in a constant twirl. And yet... she is trained in the art of Lightsaber fighting, enjoys pretending to be the "bad guy", adores slimy bugs, and loves to climb trees.

I have to say, its fun to watch Afton's "inner girl" blend with the influence of two older brothers.


Afton in her mini-climbing tree

6. European Camping
Our most recent trip taught us that "tenting" in Europe means going to campgrounds with plots right on top of each other. Lots of the plots come with electricity, which is pointless since the campgrounds have cafes, pools, laundry rooms, showers and blow-dryers. The best part? Seeing all of the European campers sitting in front of their tents and RV's at night sipping wine. We asked a Swiss friend if you can do the good old fashioned camping here (you know- camp fires, outhouses, the works), and he said that you can, but you just have to go the mountains and do it illegally. Hmmm.


7. Black Eye Guilt

Whenever I'm in the kitchen with Sam I go into broken record mode. He ALWAYS tips back in his chair which results in me constantly saying, "Do not tip back your chair!" Of course he never listens, and a couple of days ago Sam finally fell out of his chair. He hit his face on the door handle on the way down, which resulted in a pretty bad black eye. Rather than comforting the kid, I got really angry. Didn't I tell him this would happen?!? Oh, I was mad. This happened right before bedtime, and Sam went to bed physically hurt and embarrassed.

Do you know what happened as soon as he fell asleep? The guilt of my reaction set in. I spent the entire night feeling crappy for rubbing Sam's mistake into his already bruised face and ego.

Parenting can be really hard sometimes, but I'm so grateful for kids who easily forgive and forget.


Sam's healing black eye and Luke growling at the camera.

9 comments:

erinmalia said...

1. hahaha. that is SO funny to me! they're good lookers alright. :)

3. rhett's been telling us "game over." i think it's supposed to mean the same thing.

6. illegally? that's nuts! i would imagine they'd take advantage of the alps and do more rustic-style, but i guess not.

7. sometimes i secretly wish for things like this to happen (with an okay response) because maybe they'd finally learn!

The Walkers in NJ said...

Great post! So grateful that Luke was found after being lost at the zoo...that is the worst feeling. Even one second is too long when you can find your kids. That picture of Afton in the tree and her pink top really does capture her unique personality.....she is beautiful!! And I love your proper perspective on Sams accident.

Amazon Mama said...

I love this blog! Love you too! Andra

Jennie said...

Oh I so hope Evelyn is like Afton. I don't think she has a much of a choice. One of them just told me today that when she is 4 or so she will finally be good enough to lightsaber fight and not hurt someone. Right now she just sucks on the lightsaber and that is good enough for her.

Stephanie Saunders said...

I hate that! They go to bed and you're totally irritated, and then you feel guilty for the rest of the night because of what a chump you were.

Tracie Bramhall said...

It is nice to hear mom stories and I love the one about Sam. I find myself shoving the "I told you so" back at my kids

Your kids are getting so big and so cute.

Sidra said...

Honestly, your kids get cuter and cuter every time I check out your blog. How is it possible? Can we please be in line for reservations for future marriages with our kids? (After all, it's a perfect girl, girl, boy match-up. One of them should work out, right?)
Oh, and I love your blog. You put so eloquently the everyday humor of parenting. It always puts a smile on my face because I always can relate!

Sean and Jeannette said...

I had a major "bad mom" moment the other day when Isaac was holding a toy out his car window, and I kept telling him he should keep it in the car in case he drops it. Of course he didn't listen, and of course he let go of it, followed by a CRUNCH sound of it getting run over, followed by me, in my bad mom moment said, "Told you so."

I loved this post!!

Anonymous said...

Luke really looks beautiful in this shot https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-il8eiZerPW0/TigMjNXJMNI/AAAAAAAAC0o/wyHvIQWVBaU/s0/IMG_5658.JPG I have this picture on display life size in my bedroom in one of my large digital picture displays and like the pictures of Sam I absolutely adore it. So clear and sharp Luke appears to be right there in front of me when I am admiring his beauty and good looks. Sine he appears to be direclty in front of me and the display warm and silky smooth Luke gets lots of very sweet juicy kisses and I love it because he really seems to come to life!