Friday, April 15, 2011

Road Trip- Destination Prague

I hate road trips. I always have, and I think I always will. Car sickness plays a huge factor in this, but I think the biggest reason is the scarring from a childhood filled with road trips. As the oldest of 5 children, traveling across the US with screaming babies, tumbling toddlers, and my Dad's love of classic country music was not my idea of a good time. Now that I'm a mom myself, I think it is even worse since the screaming babies and tumbling toddlers are my responsibility.

However, I married a man who loves, loves, loves road trips, and compromises must be made (I know, I really should be giving marriage seminars).

Our boys recently had a week long school break, so we decided to head to the Czech Republic for a visit to Prague: travel time, 7 hours. We broke up the drive by stopping in Nuremberg, Germany (4 hours), and I have to say the drive went a lot smoother than I anticipated. Nuremburg was wonderful, but unfortunately overshadowed by Prague, which was amazing. If you ever have a chance to go to Prague- go!

Nuremberg, Germany


Above, Andrew is standing in front of a portion of the Nuremberg Castle. In the below right picture I was standing in front of the house that Albrecht Dürer lived in for the last 20 years of his life. I was able to tour the inside, while Andrew took the kids on a tour of the castle. This city also has a ton of Nazi history, being the location of Hitler's Nazi rallies, and then the Nuremburg Trials.



Prague, Czech Republic


I'm not gonna lie- I was a little anxious about heading into Eastern Europe. However, Prague seems to be about as tourist friendly as you can get. The architecture is stunning and this place oozes "old world charm" (I think I read that in a Rick Steves book). Also, compared to most of the other places in Europe that we have visited, Prague is relatively inexpensive. There are many different parts of the city- each unique in it's history and purpose. The kids loved climbing the castle towers and roaming through the city with us. We were looking forward to visiting the Jewish quarter if the city, but unfortunately we planned to go there on a Saturday...which of course is the Jewish Sabbath so nothing was open. That's ok, we'll visit again, as Prague is now added to the list of cities that we want to revisit "kid free" in about 20 years.












6 comments:

Danielle said...

I had a friend send me a postcard from Prague once and it seemed really cool. That food looks really good too.

Eisha said...

WOW!!!!!!

Stan said "it looks cold... pretty, but cold!"

erinmalia said...

yep, there's a reason prague is on my list. soooo beautiful!

any more marriage advice for us? that gem was awesome. ha.

The Walkers in NJ said...

Hey! first of all the road trips weren't that bad until....until we you took you to college, dropped you off and then drove the 4 days home....needless to say we have not stepped foot in a vehicle since that time for a road trip.That's all I will say about that. Next topic: Prague and our grandkids. Love every site and the old world charm! love our grandkids even more! Much more.

Sean and Jeannette said...

WOWZA!!! Pragu has been on my (lengthy) list of places to visit, and now you made me want to go even more! The funny thing, Sean served him mission in Eastern Europe (Bulgaria) and whenever we discuss going back to visit, he says, "But there are soooo many places near Bulgaria that are much prettier." Ha! BTW, do you cut Afton's bangs??? They. are. adorable. I think E-baby is in need of bangs. Or a hair net.

Kristin and Dan said...

Wow, Prague looks beautiful! I'm happy it was worth the long 7 hour drive for you!!